Wednesday, August 05, 2009

My namesake


This is Marmot (I'm not certain the variety but I think its a Yellow-bellied Marmot) was up on Mount Evans last weekend. I've tried getting photos of these guys in the past, but they've been to shy to let me get close enough even with a telephoto. This guy was tame by comparison. Marmots look slothful and relaxed, but move lightning fast when they need to. They also communicate through high pitched whistles, witch is often the first indication of their presence.

3 comments:

K T Cat said...

I clicked on the image to see the bigger version. What a great shot! The face is so expressive and the background colors really show the marmot clearly. Outstanding!

Foxfier said...

You do know the whistling trick, right? Whistle a few times and they look around to see what the heck?

Kelly the little black dog said...

No, I didn't know the whistling trick. I'll have to try it. Thanks!