Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Strange Practical Joke


I awoke a little over a week ago to find a crude flyer attached to my garage door. It had the words Big Brother is Watching You, along with the INGSOC logo. I immediately recognized it from the novel 1984 but didn't understand what it was doing there. Looking around at my neighbors homes, I saw a handful of them sporting the same flyer. Asking around I discovered that the flyers had been posted on many of the surrounding streets.

I still don't know why someone went to so much effort to send such an obscure message. Many of my neighbor's had never heard of the novel and had no idea what it referenced, they were just angry someone had violated their personal space. As far as I could tell, it wasn't some sort of anniversary of the novel.

No comments: