Saturday, November 17, 2007

Buyers Remorse


This month has brought two of my coworkers little bundles of sleep deprivation and anxiety - all costs of having a new born. It amazing how much new parents complain about their choice now, but within a year have absolutely no memory of what you're talking about.

On a related note Amelia Tyagi has a provocative book called the The Two-income Trap where she argues that changes in society have created a situation where having a child has become the greatest indicator of who will file bankruptcy. MJ has an interview with Amelia Tyagi discussing the finding in her book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My stepson became a father in 2004 for the first time at 42. Until then, he wasn't enthusiastic about the whole long-term responsibility for a child, but now Diana has completely won him over. Babies can do that...

By the way, I found the link to you on Brilliant At Breakfast, and knew I had to drop in and say hello.

Cheers
Kelly Cat
(and all the Good Cats)

Kelly the little black dog said...

Kelly welcome, even though we're dog oriented around here we still have a few cats from time to time.

Having kids is one of those things that can't be argued for with rational arguments. It seems its true value goes beyond that.

I just recently found Brilliant at Breakfast. I'll have to make it part of my regular viewing.