Saturday, February 17, 2007

China's Glorious new Environmental Program



I'm speechless. I can't think of anything to add to this. The original link is here.

Local government officials in China have come up with a novel solution for restoring old quarry sites - spray paint the offending area green.

The no-nonsense take on land remediation took place at Laoshou Mountain in Yunnan province where, instead of costly and time consuming re-foresting of the disused quarry, forestry officials hired a team of seven men to spray the mountainside with garish bright green paint.

The job took 45 days and many people living near the mountain were forced to abandon their homes because of the fumes.


I've also heard that when local officials were asked as to why they did this, their response was that they were told to from above!

4 comments:

K T Cat said...

Hey, as long as no CO2 was emitted, what do you care?

:-)

K T Cat said...

By the way, assuming I survive dinner, I'll throw you a link.

Kelly the little black dog said...

So what was there to survive about dinner?

Dr. Zaius said...

Great story! I love it!

P.S. I send my regrets to k t cat about whatever was wrong with her dinner. Hairball, perhaps?